Denied. Yup. Didn't I say this was going to be a journey? There is no such thing as a smooth ride from point A to point B for me. To think otherwise is to be like Charlie Brown and that wench pulling the football out of the way at the last second, again and again. Well, I did have my hopes up so I guess I am a bit like Chuck....with a matching self esteem.
Anyway, I got an email from HEI advising me they had been notified of the denial. I called the insurance myself and they verified along with telling me the reason is they don't cover hearing aids. The last I heard, a hearing aid didn't involve drilling into your skull. When I asked why they covered the evaluation tests, the reply was they don't cover those either. I got paid bills that show otherwise.
So after a brief emotional breakdown, I picked myself back up and emailed Advanced Bionics. They will be helping with the appeal process. They replied within an hour with the forms I need to fill out. Unfortunately, I have to wait for the offending party to send their statement of bullshit to send with the forms before AB can help.
I do know that denials are very common and apparently...usually overturned. You'll find this echoed all over the internet with other users who are now past that hurdle. In the meantime, I'm still waiting.
The new Bon Jovi album came out this past Tuesday. I wound up getting it through Itunes...a first for me...downloading an entire album by a band that I am a fan of. In the past, I had only downloaded the odd song or two. In this case, I would have bought the japanese import..which has extra songs. But with the state of my hearing...it wasn't really worth it at this time. I've been able to listen to the album in spurts by burning a CD of it and playing it in the car. Usually by now I'd have most of the songs down cold, but since I can only listen in spurts, I'm actually putting the songs together piece by piece over a stretch of time. Still, it's not enough for me to do a review of it for Dry County-JoviTalk, the fan-based forum I help moderate. It may have to wait until after the implant happens.
This is the story of my life
And I write it everyday
I know it isn't black and white
And it's anything but gray
I know that no, I'm not alright
But I'll be OK ‘cause
Anything can, everything can happen
That's the story of my life
Story of My Life - Bon Jovi (2005)
Anyway, I got an email from HEI advising me they had been notified of the denial. I called the insurance myself and they verified along with telling me the reason is they don't cover hearing aids. The last I heard, a hearing aid didn't involve drilling into your skull. When I asked why they covered the evaluation tests, the reply was they don't cover those either. I got paid bills that show otherwise.
So after a brief emotional breakdown, I picked myself back up and emailed Advanced Bionics. They will be helping with the appeal process. They replied within an hour with the forms I need to fill out. Unfortunately, I have to wait for the offending party to send their statement of bullshit to send with the forms before AB can help.
I do know that denials are very common and apparently...usually overturned. You'll find this echoed all over the internet with other users who are now past that hurdle. In the meantime, I'm still waiting.
The new Bon Jovi album came out this past Tuesday. I wound up getting it through Itunes...a first for me...downloading an entire album by a band that I am a fan of. In the past, I had only downloaded the odd song or two. In this case, I would have bought the japanese import..which has extra songs. But with the state of my hearing...it wasn't really worth it at this time. I've been able to listen to the album in spurts by burning a CD of it and playing it in the car. Usually by now I'd have most of the songs down cold, but since I can only listen in spurts, I'm actually putting the songs together piece by piece over a stretch of time. Still, it's not enough for me to do a review of it for Dry County-JoviTalk, the fan-based forum I help moderate. It may have to wait until after the implant happens.
This is the story of my life
And I write it everyday
I know it isn't black and white
And it's anything but gray
I know that no, I'm not alright
But I'll be OK ‘cause
Anything can, everything can happen
That's the story of my life
Story of My Life - Bon Jovi (2005)

1 Comments:
Oh man! Insurance is such a hassle! I am sorry. I wish you the best of luck. I am on your side.
Tally
Post a Comment
<< Home