Sometimes I don' t think it is possible to have anything go smoothly in my life. There is something that I call "The Force," no relation to the Star Wars mythos, that throws anything it can in my way when I least need it. Sometimes it goes quiet and then it rears it's head and gets busy. Bear with me.
Today was my CI evaluation appointment date. I've been waiting for two months now for this appointment as it is one of the crucial steps one must go through on the way to Implantation. The appointment was for 1 PM, so I set my vibrating alarm clock for 11:30 AM. Keep in mind, I work nights from 6:30 PM to 3 AM, so 1 PM is my AM. Well I woke up at 12:40 PM, 20 minutes until my appointment time, to my horror. The alarm clock never went off. I double checked it. Everything was set correctly. No setting it for PM instead of AM. The switches in the right place. The vibrator unit plugged in properly. I even checked it by changing the alarm time to the current time, which it then went off. So basically, there was absolutely no reason for the alarm to not have gone off. This is a prime example of "The Force" at work.
I called up the Institute to explain what happened and ask if they would still be able to see me if I got there within 45 minutes, they said they would. So off I went. At least "The Force" only took time for one deed today (so far, I still have to go to work.) Traffic was clear for me to get there in time, in Los Angeles, that is no small accomplishment...especially when you are heading downtown where the congestion is highest.
The testing itself was rather mundane. It is nothing more than the usual hearing tests you get anytime you see an audiologist. But, I did "pass." Passing means the tests show you can't hear for shit. The word discrimination tests were played on CD and all I could do was just sit there and listen to an indistinct voice over and over.
I did find that I'll need to have a Primary Care Physician give me a physical exam to clear me for surgery. They would also be the one to give me immunizations for Meningitis. I return to the Insitute next week to see my Doctor and go over everything. After this point, all that would be left would be insurance approval and passing the physical to be OK'd for surgery.
Hopefully "The Force" keeps it's work down to relatively mild pranks, there is too much at stake for that kind of bullshit.
And then one day you find
Ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run
You missed the starting gun
Time - Pink Floyd
Today was my CI evaluation appointment date. I've been waiting for two months now for this appointment as it is one of the crucial steps one must go through on the way to Implantation. The appointment was for 1 PM, so I set my vibrating alarm clock for 11:30 AM. Keep in mind, I work nights from 6:30 PM to 3 AM, so 1 PM is my AM. Well I woke up at 12:40 PM, 20 minutes until my appointment time, to my horror. The alarm clock never went off. I double checked it. Everything was set correctly. No setting it for PM instead of AM. The switches in the right place. The vibrator unit plugged in properly. I even checked it by changing the alarm time to the current time, which it then went off. So basically, there was absolutely no reason for the alarm to not have gone off. This is a prime example of "The Force" at work.
I called up the Institute to explain what happened and ask if they would still be able to see me if I got there within 45 minutes, they said they would. So off I went. At least "The Force" only took time for one deed today (so far, I still have to go to work.) Traffic was clear for me to get there in time, in Los Angeles, that is no small accomplishment...especially when you are heading downtown where the congestion is highest.
The testing itself was rather mundane. It is nothing more than the usual hearing tests you get anytime you see an audiologist. But, I did "pass." Passing means the tests show you can't hear for shit. The word discrimination tests were played on CD and all I could do was just sit there and listen to an indistinct voice over and over.
I did find that I'll need to have a Primary Care Physician give me a physical exam to clear me for surgery. They would also be the one to give me immunizations for Meningitis. I return to the Insitute next week to see my Doctor and go over everything. After this point, all that would be left would be insurance approval and passing the physical to be OK'd for surgery.
Hopefully "The Force" keeps it's work down to relatively mild pranks, there is too much at stake for that kind of bullshit.
And then one day you find
Ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run
You missed the starting gun
Time - Pink Floyd

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home